Thursday, 22 October 2009

Am I where I thought I would be?

Last week I was fortunate to be able to speak to a friend I had known in my younger years. 12 years on, it was encouraging to be able to chat, catch up and still have common ground on which to relate and engage. I have since had on my mind, thoughts of my past and my childhood, when I was little, a boy aged 10 or 12.

It seems like such a long time ago. I am fond of most of my memories and I find they are easy to think about. I am sure that for the greater proportion of us, life was simpler back then, or at least that's how its remembered. Worries were few, and cares didn't exist. We were fed and taken care of through no efforts of our own. Not many things troubled our minds and not many loads were laid on our hearts.

How things change. This having been said and fully appreciated I am confident in saying that easier lives don't make for better ones. Few would want to return to those days if given the opportunity but would rather choose to continue to battle it out in this time, working through the heartache and pain, difficulties and troubles in an effort to attain the 'perfect' goal. These trials and life lessons are what have made us who we are, what have made me who I am.

The final question I have is this: if little Lloyd of age 12 met me at this age would he be proud of who and what I have become? or would he change his path to face new trials, receive different lessons and become a better man?

1 comment:

  1. Quote - "The final question I have is this: if little Lloyd of age 12 met me at this age would he be proud of who and what I have become? or would he change his path to face new trials, receive different lessons and become a better man?"

    I won't try to answer this hypothetical question but perhaps you can gain some insight into how little Lloyd would perceive you through the eyes of your younger siblings. I would expect that they look up to the man you have become.

    Look after yourself Mr Lloyd.

    ReplyDelete