Sunday, 25 October 2009

Finding my peace.

Dear Reader,

For the last 5 or so years, I have been trying to get some sort of structure and stability to my life. When I left Highschool in 2005, I foolishly believed that life would take shape and all the pieces would fall into place without too many difficulties and much effort on my part. I simply believed that dreaming big and working hard was enough to take me places and get me acheiving great things. This hope and belief was founded in the lack of knowledge that oft accommpanies youth and the unfortunate naivety in the state of how the world works.

My life seems to be shaping up very differently to how I expected and dreamt it would. The obstacles that I have encountered along the way could not have been predicted, they have determined the roads I have had to take and forced some of the decisions I have had to make and am currently making. My journey in life, much like most of yours, has been altered by variable events, situations and circumstances that I wish I had more control over.

I know and understand now that in life, much like a game of poker, we are all dealt different hands. I am learning to accept and love the hand I was dealt, as must we all.. knowing that only when this is acheived, can we play the game effectively and well.

A good friend of mine gave me this quote which I will share with you: 'I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but I almost always end up where I need to be' - Douglas Adams. She passed this on to me as a response to my post about the beginning of my final year of Uni. I subscribe wholeheartedly to what these words say and I feel it completes very well what I have been trying and perhaps failing to get across.

I hope you are well

Lloyd

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post. My thoughts on your first paragraph: You are a great person Mr Lloyd, and I believe part of that greatness is due to your faith and not naivety in how the world works. You are not blind, but nor do you cynically expect the worst like many others.
    You also mention that you were full of youthful naivety when you left High School. That is not a bad thing, the youthful sense that we can change the world and be anything we want to be has enabled us as a species to do great things. Look at all the things you have accomplished in those 5 years. Finally, I don't think it is naivety to believe that we can achieve great things, only that these things can be achieved in a short space of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Douglas Adams; a fine man, and a fine atheist. A better quote for you:
    "Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

    ReplyDelete