I am sitting in a relatively busy computer room as I write this, I don't really have to be here, but I am. I am comfortable here. For once in a very long time I have no immediate work that requires being done, or pressing deadlines that need to be met. I don't have to be working, nor do I need to be, but I want to be! I thought I would love being free of Uni, and being finished with it all, but there is a safety found in being part of a system and process that freedom from it doesn't replace or match up to.Archimedes is quoted as having said: 'Give me a firm place to stand and I will move the earth'. As the man was a physicist, engineer and mathematician in the days before Christ, I feel it is valid to question whether or not he meant a literal translation. I don't know, but I doubt it and certainly hope not! In my mind I assume it was probably some clever pun where 'earth' could have also meant 'dirt' or 'soil' in addition to the immediate and common meaning of being 'the planet we live on'. Perhaps I pay undue credit, on the other hand, maybe I do not pay enough. Disregarding the physics and maths of it all; as a metaphor, this is a statement I hold in high regard.
In my heart I want to move the earth as I am sure most of us want to, but I have no idea how, when or what that will look like and right now I'm afraid all I do is sleep.
(Image by Scott Horrigan: http://www.boston.com/community/photos/raw/2008/08/how_i_got_the_picturescott_hor.html)
No comments:
Post a Comment